To celebrate the Punk 1976 – 78 Exhibition at Sunderland Libraries and Museum, we have commissioned a number of Punk inspired workshops which you can take part in.
Under the guidance of textile artist Sheila Biggs, you will use the imagery and spirit of punk to
create new garments out of old. Explore ways to customise clothes using print and stitch in an exciting way.
- Wednesday 18 January, 10am – 12.30pm
- Wednesday 25 January, 10am – 12.30pm
- Wednesday 1 February, 10am – 3pm
- Wednesday 8 February, 10am – 12.30pm
- Wednesday 15 February, 10am – 3pm
- Wednesday 22 February, 10am – 12.30pm
These workshops take place at St Mark’s Community Association, Millfield
Punked: Break Out
Working with choreographer Rachel Johnson release your frustrations through movement and feel energised.
- Wednesday 25 January and Wednesday 1 February, 6pm – 8pm at Castle View Academy Dance Studio.
I AM… A new one-minute flash film created by you. Working with Channel Four Cinematographer Jonathan Binks and Rachel Johnson you will learn how to capture, storyboard and edit filmed materials to tell a story which actually matters.
- Tuesday 7 February, 1pm – 3pm at Pallion Action Group.
- Tuesday 7 February, 5pm – 7pm at Miss Tina’s Coffee Shop, Southwick.
Punked: Words for Change
Working with Hayley Youell and Roxy Mitchell write your very own punk manifesto…be bold, challenge the status quo, speak your truth!
- Monday 20 February 10am – 12pm and Tuesday 21 February 1pm – 3pm at Holmeside Coffee in Sunderland.
Punked: Music Workshop
Working with Hayley Youell, Roxy Mitchell and using the exhibition as an inspiration, combine all of the things you want to sing about with famous punk classics. Create your own punk anthem against the boundaries which exist in your community.
- Monday 20 February and Tuesday 21 February 5pm – 7pm at Holmeside Coffee in Sunderland.
Punked Up: Portraits of Women Punked
Explore how punk inspired women to break free from social constraints and make changed in their lives and communities. Using song. photography and movement create your own self portraits and connect with your inner punk!
- Monday 20 February 1pm – 3pm and Tuesday 21 February 10am – 12pm at Quaker Meeting House in Roker.