Call out for Artist or Artist Organisation
The NHS turned 70 on 5th July 2018. To acknowledge and recognise this milestone, South Tyneside Council is seeking to commission an artist or arts organisation/group to create a piece art that celebrates this anniversary, with reference to the presence of the NHS in the Borough. The completed work will be placed at South Tyneside Hospital.
The Cultural Spring is pleased to be working with South Tyneside Council and South Tyneside Foundation Trust to facilitate this commission.
Funding of up to £7,500 is available for this commission. We expect this funding to cover all costs associated with the design, production, installation and maintenance of the finished work. This fee should also cover all materials, travel and research, VAT contributions, etc.
As part of the planning for this commission, consultation sessions took place with members of the public to help inform what is important to them about the NHS and themes that could inform the work. The main themes that emerged were as follows:
- The people and stories of the people who use the NHS and work in the NHS
- Equality of access
- Local community
- Local references
- Birth to end of life care
- Unity – connecting services that existed before the formation of the NHS through to the present day
We hope that the appointed artist or arts organisation/group will continue to engage members of the public in a meaningful way as part of this process.
We are open to the art form used for the completed artwork. However, it is highly likely that the completed work will be located outdoors and as such consideration will need to be given to this. If you are proposing work that is best located indoors, we advise you contact us to discuss this further in advance of submitting a proposal.
Through this commission we hope to achieve:
- A high-quality piece of work
- A finished piece of work that is informed by the local community and demonstrates a strong connection to the NHS and South Tyneside
- Opportunities for members of the local community to get involved/participate in a meaningful way during this process
- A finished piece of work that can be displayed within the grounds of South Tyneside Hospital
- A finished piece of work that creates local excitement and pride
|Commission launched||Monday 25th February|
|Deadline for submissions||10am on Monday 11th March|
|Interviews||Monday 18th March|
|Project commences||w/c 18th March|
|Project completion||Friday 28th June|
To apply please send the following in a single PDF document to Michael.Barrass@theculturalspring.org.uk outlining:
- Your idea and approach to this project (max 700 words)
- A brief biography of your work and for any key organisations and/or artists/individuals involved in your bid (max 200 words)
- How you anticipate local people can be involved in this process (max 200 words)
- A proposed timeline
- A budget for all costs associated with the project
Through the application process we will assess the following:
- Quality and ambition of the artistic approach
- Track record of the company and or individuals
- Potential for engagement with local community
- Feasibility and deliverability
- Value for money
Shortlisted projects will be invited to interview. All contracted artists will need to have a current DBS and Public Liability Insurance up to £5 million cover.
For further information, or to discuss a potential proposal, please contact Michael.Barrass@theculturalspring.org.uk or 0191 427 8197.