Wear Experimenting is a project devised by local artist and photographer Jo Howell and commissioned by The Cultural Spring and the North East Photography Network. The project seeks to engage the people of Sunderland in a series of experiments, intended to explore the cross-currents of creativity shared by photography and science and to invite the public to share their experience of life in the city. Experiments will ask questions relating to the natural and physical environment: social, domestic and work life; health and well-being of the city and its residents.
Residents of Sunderland, and those who work in the city, can participate in workshops in Pallion, Millfield and Hendon and there will also be opportunities to encounter the project through a pop-up community darkroom which will appear over the next few months in community and social green spaces.
A key strand of Wear Experimenting will be online participation, an invitation extended to the public to create specific images relating to life in the city between June – November 2018. Each month, a photographic ‘recipe’ or directive will be issued to the city’s residents and the resultant images shared across social media, building up a rich image bank and data set from which we can observe ourselves.
We also want to see the hashtag #WearExperimenting whenever you’re talking about the project!
To find out more about the project please visit:
Email at email@example.com
Watch the video below:
As part of the project, we want to get as many people who live in Sunderland as involved as possible.
Jo will be having lots of free workshops taking place over the next few months at different community venues and popping up at outdoor events.
The workshops will be taking place on:
- Monday 23rd July, 30th July and 6th August, 1pm – 3pm at Back on the Map, 67 Toward Road, Sunderland, SR2 8JG
- Thursday 27th July, 3rd August, 10th August, 17th August, 24th August, 6.30pm – 8.30pm at St Oswalds Communicare Centre, Gladywn Road, Sunderland, SR4 9QY
- Saturday 28th July and 4th August, Pop up at 11am – 4pm at Backhouse Park, 17 Corby Hall Drive, Sunderland SR2 7HZ
- Monday 13th August, 10am – 2pm, Venue TBC
- Saturday 18th August, Thursday 23rd August and 30th August, 11am – 4pm at Hylton Castle, Craigavon Road, Sunderland SR5 3PA
How to make a simple camera to create extremely long exposures that capture the movement of the sun. These cameras will be made by members of the public and placed around Sunderland as part of #wearexperimenting participation project.