The South Tyneside Picture Books was an exciting project that involved families from five South Tyneside primary schools selecting and working with an artist to create a series of original picture books.
Through a series of fun and interactive workshops the families created characters and stories and developed the artwork for the picture books. The groups also enjoyed a guided tour of The Word and the ‘Monsters! The Good, The Bad and The Cuddly’ exhibition as part of the project.
Seven picture books were created:
- A Clean Sea Tale by Laura Joy Robertson and Biddick Hall Infants School
- Boing! by Julia Stafford and Lord Blyton Primary School
- Mouth of the Tyne by Headway Arts and Holy Trinity C of E Academy
- The Flower with Feeling by Josie Brookes and St Aloysius RC Infant School
- Woof catches a whiff by Alizon Bennet and Hadrian Primary School
- Woof cause a kerfuffle by Alizon Bennet and Hadrian Primary School
- Zoe’s Bright Idea by Julia Stafford and Lord Blyton Primary School
We were delighted to be joined by the families and other guests at The Word in November 2018 where the books were launched. CBeebies presenter Chris Jarvis also took part in the launch and read the stories aloud to the guests.
All the families involved in the project received copies of each book and the schools involved also received copies that could be added to their libraries. The books are available to loan from South Tyneside Libraries and on-sale via the gift shop at The Word.
This project was a commission by The Cultural Spring and supported by South Tyneside Council, The Word, The Customs House, The Works and Jasprint.
For more information about the Picture Book project, please contact Michael Barrass.