Be inspired by The Cultural Spring
Video by Roar Motion
The Cultural Spring is an exciting, ambitious project to get more people in Sunderland and South Tyneside to experience and be inspired by the arts.
We’ve been working with the best local, regional and national artists to ensure our programme really engages, enthuses, entertains and educates the 100,000 people living in our wards.
We were successful in our Phase 3 bid which means Arts Council England is funding the project until 2023, but our aim is to leave a lasting legacy of communities with a genuine and abiding interest in the arts.
The project is driven by five partners – The University of Sunderland, The Customs House, the Sunderland Music, Arts and Culture Trust, Sangini and The Cultural Spring Charity – all of whom are passionate about igniting a Cultural Spring in our wards.
Our Phase 3 wards are Hebburn North, Hebburn South and Primrose in South Tyneside and Ryhope, Doxford and Silksworth in Sunderland.
Stats taken from Summer 2019 workshop programme:
- 45% of workshop participants for the Summer 19 programme were new to The Cultural Spring.
- Pl-abrics, Storytelling and Creative Gardening all aw a higher than average attendance for people aged 35 and younger.
- 100% of respondents to our evaluation forms stated that they would recommend our workshops to others and would get involved again in future workshops.
Our Vision and Mission Statement
For arts and culture to be an expected and accepted part of everyone’s lives in Sunderland and South Tyneside
NOTE: Our vision is predicated on the belief that arts and culture has both:
- Intrinsic value in the ways it can illuminate inner lives and enrich emotional worlds and:
- Wider more measurable impacts on the economy, health and wellbeing, society, education and place.
To deliver our vision we will:
- Develop a programme of all art forms to encourage and enable everyone to get involved and to establish a new cultural environment
- Attract great musicians, writers and artists (locally and nationally) to work in and with our communities
- Provide opportunities for people to enjoy new experiences, discover new passions, learn new skills and be involved in decision making about the types of activities available to them
- Co-develop a rich programme capable of catalysing previously untapped partnerships and opportunities
Take a look below at all the projects, exhibitions and workshops we have commissioned over the last three years:
Video by Andrew Hagan
Cultural Spring is part of the Creative People and Places programme, initiated and funded by Arts Council England through the National Lottery. Creative People and Places is about more people taking the lead in choosing, creating and taking part in art experiences in the places where they live. There are 21 independent projects, each located in an area where people have traditionally had fewer opportunities to get involved with the arts. Creative People and Places projects have reached over 1.45 million people, 91% of who do not regularly engage in the arts.
Take a look at what Creative People and Places projects are taking place around the country.